Gay guide Malmö
The third largest city in Sweden, located in the very south as the baby brother of Copenhagen.
The city dates back to 1353 and has been home to some of the largest industrial companies in Sweden. Today it's a vibrant cultural hotpot that's very exciting to visit.
The gay scene has almost died with the advent of apps. It's also extremely close to Copenhagen (20 minutes with a commuter train) so when people want a party they pop over to the capital of Denmark.
As with all of Sweden, almost everything is to be considered gay-friendly, so there's no issue with finding nice places to hang out. Right now the only gay venue open is a fetish club called SLM
One of the major events every year (since 1985) is "Malmöfestivalen". It's held in august and lasts for eight days filled with free concerts, shows, dance, theater, and food!
Things to visit
- West harbor (Västra hamnen): The old harbor area previously owned by Kockums is now a bustling area of new houses and restaurants. In the summer you can have an ice cream or go for a swim here.
- Ribersborg beach: all of Malmö hang out here during summer to swim and play. You may go here year-round to visit the bath-house (Kallbadhuset) where you swim in the cold water in the middle of the winter (starting with a hot sauna).
- Malmöhus castle: The old fortress holds a number of museums (art, city, history, science, and maritime).
- Öresundsbron: The huge bridge connecting Sweden with Denmark. It's seen from all of the coastlines in Malmö.
- Turning Torso: The twisting skyscraper set the skyline of Malmö. Designed by Santiago Calatrava the tall building rise up in the west harbor.
- Disgusting Food Museum: If you want to experience something different than the regular culture museums visit this one and learn more about the more bizarre food habits from all over the world.
- The small square (Lilla torg): Located just next to the big square! Yes, it seems like they are very on the nose with naming squares! Here you find a lot of restaurants/cafes and it attracts all the people of malmö for a night out.
Frequently asked questions
How do I get to Malmö?
Malmö has an international airport, but many choose to use the much larger airport in Copenhagen. Copenhagen airport (Kastrup) is only a short commute by train to get to the center of town in Malmö, so it's actually faster to do this!
What's the best time to visit Malmö?
The best time is absolutely the summer. If you can enjoy using the seaside and outside restaurants you are in for a win!
Is it expensive in Malmö?
For many travelers, all of Sweden is quite expensive. But Malmö is a place where you can get away cheap! I very much recommend having falafel for lunch, it's the best and cheapest in Sweden!
Is there a gay sauna in Malmö?
No, unfortunately not. The closest you get is the cruising darkroom at Taboo.
Latest updated locations:
- Jupiter2018 - Bangkok, Thailand
- FORFUN STORE : Fetish & Bdsm Fashion & More - Bangkok, Thailand
- NY.Club - Munich, Germany
- The Werkroom - Munich, Germany
- MLC München - Münchner Löwen Club e.V. / UnderGround - Munich, Germany