Gay guide Stockholm
A beautiful town with a big variation between summar and winter. Come and explore what the capital of Sweden can offer.
As you might know, Stockholm is the capital of Sweden. It's a beautiful city with a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere.
Even though Sweden is very liberal regarding gay rights, the gay scene and gay life here in Sweden aren't the biggest. It's making its comeback, however. Just this last year, a few new gay bars opened 🏳️🌈.
Stockholm has no special gay district, but most gay places are around Södermalm and Gamla stan.
Our recommendation is to go during the summer, which makes Stockholm shine. You'll have a beer in the sun, enjoy the heat at the beach and maybe even take a dip in the water (maybe even in the middle of the city).
Popular activities for tourists
- Visit Gamla Stan, the old town, and explore its winding streets and historic buildings.
- Take a boat tour of the city's beautiful archipelago.
- Visit the Vasa Museum, which houses the well-preserved Vasa ship that sank in the 17th century.
- See the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace.
- Take a stroll through the Djurgården park and visit the ABBA museum.
- Visit the Moderna Museet, which has an impressive collection of modern and contemporary art.
- Try some traditional Swedish food, such as meatballs and gravlax.
Overall, Stockholm is a beautiful and vibrant city with a lot to offer visitors, so be sure to take the time to explore and experience as much as you can while you're there.
Frequently asked questions
What's the best time to visit Stockholm?
Without a doubt, absolutely during the summer! The town comes to life when you don't need to stay indoors.
Is there a gay sauna?
Not really! There is a small IR sauna but not anything an international visitor would call a sauna. All the proper saunas were closed because of historical regulations and were never re-instated.
What's the best way of getting around?
The subway system and busses work excellently in Stockholm. If you want to travel privately there are multiple taxi companies, including Bolt and Uber. There's also a plethora of electric scooters and bikes available on every corner!